Make Mardi Gras Memorable
I have been looking for any reason to throw a party lately. My husband is from the South, so I have been planning a Mardi Gras-themed party. I will be making his favorite spicy jambalaya and wanted some outrageous decorations to match. I decided to make stick masks for the women, and crowns for the men. I used the three colors of Mardi Gras – purple for Justice, green for Faith, and gold for Power – but you can go as wild as you want!
- Mask, crown, joker hat templates. You can find these online or freehand draw your own.
- Decorative embellishments such as feathers, jewels, stickers, beads, glitter, puff paint, pipe cleaners, etc. I found all my decorations at a local craft store.
- Dowels (approx. ¼-½ ” thick and 12-18” long) or elastic sting to attach to the mask, depending on whether you want guests to wear or hold their masks
- Craft Glue
- Decide what you would like to make, whether it be a mask, crown, or joker hat.
- Find or draw your template.
- Take your template to FedEx Office® and print it on heavy cardstock paper in the color of your choosing.
- The center will have dozens of colored paper options you can print on, but if you want something specific you could use an illustration program on your computer to fill in the digital template with a color that FedEx Office can then print. In that way the options for colors are limitless!
- Cut out the printed template and get ready to decorate.
- Attach your decorations with a thin layer of glue.
- I covered mine in glitter some feathers and jewels. You can also personalize your masks or crowns with the names of your guests.
- Once all the decorations are dry, attach your masks to the dowel or string you selected.
- Glue them to a dowel to make a long handle or punch holes in each side of the mask and thread the elastic string through to make a headband.
- You can also decorate the dowel with paint or by wrapping pipe cleaners around them as I did.
- For the crown, cut out long strips of cardstock (in basic white or the color you choose) and cut it to the size of your guests’ heads. Glue or tape the crown to the front and secure the cardstock closed into a loop at the back with tape, glue or staples
- Party, party, party! This is a great way to make your Fat Tuesday party a night your guests will never forget, and give them a nice memento to take home too!