They say being a parent is the hardest job in the world. I believe it, but I think one of the next hardest jobs has to be that of a small business owner. They’re similar in a lot of ways: you had an idea, nurtured it into creation and now you’re putting all your time and energy into making it a success.
Growing and running a small business is incredibly hard – and rewarding! – work done by millions of passionate people all around the world. So this Small Business Week we’re saying thank you to all the small business owners out there who make our economy so vibrant.
FedEx Office kicked off Small Business Month by hosting “Our Office Is Your Office” Tweet Chat Series with small business experts providing advice on topics just for you. Weekly Twitter talk show host Melinda Emerson (@SmallBizLady) and CEO of Small Business Trends Anita Campbell (@smallbiztrends) shared valuable tips for entrepreneurs. If you didn’t have a chance to participate, here are some take-aways with full transcripts.
Making the Most of Social Media and Online Tools by Melinda Emerson @SmallBizLady:
- If planning to blog, work on an archive of posts at least 3 months in advance so writing isn’t stressful.
- Use a 4:1 ratio of sharing other people’s content over your own. Your content will do the selling.
- Keep your content focused on the same target audience. If you change your core message too often, you will confuse people.
Check out the full tweet chat transcript from our discussion with Melinda here.
Common Branding Mistakes and Tips on How to Fix Them by Anita Campbell @smallbiztrends
- You have 5 to 10 seconds to make a good impression – as a person or as a biz.
- Poor quality printed items (fuzzy graphics, cheap paper, bleeding ink) make even the best brands look bad.
- Consistency is crucial. People notice if a business card has a new logo and the brochure has the old.
Check out the full tweet chat transcript from our discussion with Anita here.
Join us tomorrow for our final Tweet Chat with Gene Marks (@GeneMarks), author of five books, weekly blogger for The New York Times and Forbes and small business owner. It’s simple to join -- follow the conversation on Twitter with @FedExOffice using #FedExOffice.
We’d also like to say thank you with a special FedEx Office Small Business Week deal. On May 23, 2012, we’re offering 29-cent color copies* at any of the FedEx Office Copy & Print Centers nationwide. Find your local FedEx Office store here. Be sure to mark your calendars for Wednesday to save big!
FedEx Office compensated the three small business experts participating in the FedEx Office Our Office Is Your Office Tweet Chat program. The experts’ ideas relayed in this blog post and related Twitter discussions are their own and are not provided by FedEx Office.
* This offer is valid in-store only on self-service printing. Some restrictions apply, learn more here.